An automobile is a motor vehicle running with wheels. Automobiles are a self-propelled vehicle which is used for transportation powered by an internal combustion engine or an electric motor.
Automobiles are a type of vehicle which is designed to transport from one place to another. There are many different types of automobiles classified with respect to various usage, features and applications are as follows,
Classification of Automobiles:
Automobiles are classified as according with respect to various criteria. Automobiles can be classified into various categories based on various factors such as their size, usage, purpose, drive, body style, and fuel type. The following are some of the classification of automobiles as:
1. With respect to Use:
- Motor Cycles
- Three Wheelers: Auto Rickshaw, E-Rickshaw
- Four-Wheelers: Car, Jeep, Wagon
- Transport Vehicles: Bus, Traveler
- Goods Carrier: Trucks, Trailers
2. With respect to Capacity:
- Heavy Transport Vehicles: Bus, Trucks, Coaches, Dumper
- Light Transport Vehicles: Cars, Jeep, Tempo
3. With respect to Maker and Manufacturer:
- Scooters: Bajaj, LML, Kinetic Honda, TVS, Vespa
- Motor Cycles: Hero, Honda, Bajaj, TVS, Yamaha, Mahindra
- Cars: TATA Motors, Toyota, Maruti Suzuki, Ford, Fiat, Mahindra, Hyundai, Volkswagen
- Station Wagons: Matador, Dodge, Standard
- Trucks: TATA Motors, Ashok Leyland, Volvo
4. With respect to Fuel Used:
- Petrol Vehicles: Scooter, Motor Cycles, Cars
- Diesel Vehicles: Buses, Trucks, Tractors
- CNG Vehicles: Auto Rickshaw, Buses, Cars
- LPG Vehicles: Cars
- Solar Vehicles: Cars
- Hydrogen Vehicles: Cars, Fuel Cell Cars
- Electric Vehicles: Scooters, Motor Cycles, Cars
5. With respect to Wheel and Axle:
- Two-Wheelers: Auto cycle, Scooter, Moped, Motor Cycle
- Three-Wheelers: Auto Rickshaw, E-Rickshaw, Tempo
- Four-Wheelers: Cars, Jeep, Wagon
- Six-Wheelers: Buses, Trucks
- Multi-Wheelers: Trailers
6. With respect to Drive:
- According to the sitting position of driver:
- Right Hand Drive: All Indian Vehicles
- Left Hand Drive: Most of American and Wester Vehicles
- According to Driving Axle:
- Front Wheel Drive: Front wheels are driving wheels
- Rear Wheel Drive: Rear wheels are driving wheels Four Wheel Drive: Four wheels are driving wheels
7. With respect to Body Style:
- Sedans: Four-door cars with a separate trunk.
- Hatchbacks: Cars with a rear door that opens upwards, providing access to cargo space.
- Station Wagons: Cars with an extended rear cargo area.
- SUVs: High-riding vehicles with off-road capabilities.
- Coupes: Two-door cars with a sporty design.
- Convertibles: Cars with a retractable roof.
- Pickup Trucks: Vehicles with an open cargo bed at the back.
- Vans: Vehicles designed for transporting passengers or cargo.
8. With respect to Transmission:
9. With respect to Suspension System:
- Conventional Suspension: Leaf Spring
- Independent Suspension: Pneumatic, Coil Spring, Torsion Bar
10. With respect to Fitting of Engine:
- Engine in Front
- Engine in Back
- Bus Chassis
- Engine fitted in front but crosswise
- Engine fitted at center of chassis
11. With respect to Special Purpose Vehicle:
- Fire Brigade
- Machine Loader
12. With respect to number of Doors:
- Two Door Vehicles
- Four Door Vehicles
13. With respect to Usage:
- Personal Vehicles: Scooters, Motor Cycles, Cars
- Commercial Vehicles: Taxis, Delivery Vans, Buses
- Emergency Vehicles: Police Cars, Ambulances, Fire Trucks
14. With respect on Segment:
- Economy Cars
- Compact Cars
- Midsize Cars
- Full-Size Cars
- Luxury Cars
- Sports Cars
- SUVs (Subcompact, Compact, Midsize, Full-Size)
- Vans (Minivans, Full-Size Vans)
- Trucks (Compact, Midsize, Full-Size)
Types of Automobiles:
Automobiles come in a variety of types, each designed for specific purposes, usage, applications and features. Here are some common types of automobiles are as follows:
1. Passenger Vehicles:
- Sedans: A sedans are four-door cars comes with a separate trunk.
- Hatchbacks: A hatchbacks cars with a rear door that opens upwards, providing access to cargo space.
- Convertibles: A convertible cars with a retractable roof.
- Coupes: A coupes two-door cars with a sporty design.
- Station Wagons: A station wagon cars with an extended rear cargo area.
2. Sports Cars:
A sports car are designed form performance and speed. Sports cars are designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance such as acceleration, racing, handling and capabilities. Sports cars have powerful engines and aerodynamic features that makes this car different from other vehicles.
Some of the sports cars such as Toyota GR86, BMW M2, Porsche 718 Cayman, Mazda MX-5, McLaren 72OS, etc.
3. Luxury Cars:
A luxury car is high-end vehicles with premium features, high comfort with technology advancement. Luxury cars have a status, comfort and refinement. Luxury cars are more expensive compared to other vehicles. Often more expensive materials and surface finishes are used and buyers expect better build quality.
Some of the luxury cars such as Rolls Royce, Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, etc.
4. Electric Cars (EVs):
- Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs): A battery electric vehicles are completely powered by electric batteries.
- Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs): A plug-in hybrid electric vehicles combines electric and internal combustion power.
5. Emergency Vehicles:
An emergency vehicle is a type vehicle used for emergency services. Emergency vehicles typically have specialized emergency lighting and vehicle equipment that allow emergency services.
Some of the emergency vehicles such as Police Cars, Ambulance, Fire Brigade, Police Vans, Mobile Communication Vehicles, etc.
6. SUVs (Sport Utility Vehicles):
A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a types of car classification that combines elements of road-going passenger cars with features from off-road vehicles.
- Crossovers: SUVs built on car platforms for better fuel efficiency and comfort.
- Compact SUVs: Smaller SUVs designed for urban driving.
- Midsize SUVs: Larger than compact SUVs, suitable for families and cargo.
- Full-Size SUVs: Large vehicles with ample passenger and cargo space.
- Luxury SUVs: High-end SUVs with premium features and luxury appointments.
7. Commercial Vehicles:
- Buses: A buses are used for a public transportation.
- Taxis: A taxis are a type of commercial vehicles for a mode of public transportation.
- Delivery Vans: A delivery vans are used for transporting goods.
- Pickup Trucks: A pickup trucks are vehicles with an open cargo bed at the back.
- Utility Trucks: A utility trucks are designed for various work-related tasks.
- Heavy-Duty Trucks: A heavy-duty trucks are designed for towing and carrying heavy loads.
These types of automobiles are available and used on the basis of various preferences, needs, body styles and lifestyles, offering a diverse range of choices for consumers.